ASM Responds: Worker burned after explosion at Connecticut Natural Gas

WFSB.com

WFSB 3 Connecticut

By Joseph Wenzel IV, News Editor

EAST HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) –Connecticut Natural Gas employees were evacuated after a small explosion and fire was reported near the building in East Hartford on Wednesday afternoon.

The small explosion was reported in an outbuilding on Meadow Street, which is used to fill natural gas trucks around 12:30 p.m. The building is in a parking lot and away from other buildings.

The fire chief said a mechanic was filling a truck when a compressor exploded and created a small fire along with the explosion. The worker’s hands and head were burned and the explosion caused the panels of the building to partly pop off.

“It sounded like a dumpster and then all the emergency crews showed up,” said Lucie Wilson of East Hartford.

Sources told Eyewitness News that the explosion shook the building.

The outbuilding holds three gas tanks, all used to fuel the company’s natural gas powered vehicles.

“That system has been in place … CNG uses natural power gas and this is the first time we’ve ever run across an incident like this,” Fire Chief John Oates said.

Read more: http://www.wfsb.com/story/27365691/worker-burned-after-explosion-at-connecticut-natural-gas#ixzz3ItI5Bbtv

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *